If you’re a fashion designer who’s considering selling your clothing, shoes, or fashion accessories on Amazon, there are a couple of things you’ll want to make sure to do to get the most out of your Amazon retail experience.
Sellers on Amazon rely on the platform to get visibility, and it’s easy to see why. There are literally millions of in-stock products listed on Amazon at any given time, and Amazon’s algorithm recommends products to sellers based on other buyers’ purchasing behavior. This algorithm can potentially expand the reach of your clothing line to customers who may have never come across your fashion brand before. That’s why it’s important to make sure that you present your products in the best way possible and follow all of Amazon’s rules for retailers.
A to Z: Best Practices for Amazon Online Shop Owners
The following checklist includes a number of best practices that will help you maximize the impact of your Amazon online shop. Selling on Amazon may seem intimidating at first, but once you break down the rules, it can become a powerful part of a successful clothing brand strategy.
- Something that customers may want to reorder again.
- Something that customers may want to order in multiple variations.
- Products that fall within an acceptable price range for your target customers.
Pro Tip: to get a clear idea of what sells best, check out Amazon's sales rankings.
- Find a good and reliable product supplier. For example, some Italian manufacturers let you customize products from their white label inventory – with your brand label and other design features – so you can start your online shop with a unique product, but without the stress. Some even let you order inventory in small batches instead of buying by the hundreds.
Choose a fashion product that sells well in e-commerce. How do you know what works? Here’s a couple of things to look for:
- Study your retail competitors, and observe how they present products. Get inspiration from their examples of what works and what doesn’t, but don’t hold back on putting a unique spin on your accessories or clothing line.
- Invest in custom packaging to add value to your goods. This way, when your order ships, customers can start experiencing your brand before even seeing your product.
- Ask your manufacturer to label your products for you and send them directly to Amazon’s warehouses. This will help shorten your manufacturer to customer timeline.
Added Amazon-azing Opportunities
Amazon offers sellers two great opportunities to gain an edge and further entice customers to their inventories:
- Sell through their Amazon Prime service, which includes single day shipments. What customer doesn’t love that?
- Use Amazon’s logistics team to manage orders, shipments, and returns.
To send the goods to Amazon warehouses you must comply with very strict packaging and shipping requirements. That’s why it’s extremely important to find a reliable supplier with organized logistics and quality assurance teams who will follow those instructions.